Tuesday 26 May 2015

Getting into new things: Podcasts

A while ago I finally got on the podcast train. My flatmate listens to them regularly and even in class we have been discussing them, so there is no escaping now. I really wanted to see what the fuss was about, but I was also a bit indifferent to them. Storytelling via simple audio has never really interested me that much, and on the bus I often listen to music or just play around on my phone. But there is one thing that really becomes so much less boring- walking somewhere. Yes, you might look a little weird just staring into oblivion, being in your own bubble while walking around town, but listening to an exciting podcast gets you places really fast haha. I find walking to the gym really annoying, so this really helps with that.
So here are a few of my current listening choices.


 Serial
Serial has been so popular and seriously hyped, but for a reason. Sarah Koenig has a really nice voice (so important for these things) and tells the story in a great way.  and has been my favorite podcast so far.She retells and explores the case of Hae Min Lee's murder in 1999. Adnan Syed, her ex boyfriend, has been in jail ever since being charged with first-degree murder. He claims and has done so for the past 15 years, so Koenig explores both the evidence and also Adnan's side of things. I don't wanna tell more, just go ahead and check it out!



Stuff Mom Never Told You
The next podcast is completely different. It's called 'Stuff Mom Never Told You'. Hosts Caroline and Cristen explore topical things surrounding gender roles, feminism and other issues. I like the two hosts, their podcasts are flawless, they never trip over their tongues or talk over each other. Their ideas are inspiring and their topics are quite fun. I really enjoyed their podcast about the word bitch, character crushes and Taylor Swift. You can listen to it here: x


Criminal
After I finished Serial, I was looking for something just as good. I stumbled upon this and I am still not sure what this podcast really is about, but I like it. The Internet describes it as 'Stories of people who’ve done wrong, been wronged, or gotten caught somewhere in the middle.' Some of them are not so interesting, but some of them are quite good. For example, there was an episode about animal trials: There was a time when animals were being given trials, whenever they did something illegal. The idea of a pig being charged with murder still makes me giggle, and that episode convinced me that 'Criminal' was definitely worth listening to.
If you already know Serial, then you should go and check out 'Undisclosed'. It explores the case of Adnan Syed even more and this time it is attorneys who are doing it. I love it, it is different than Serial but still pretty good in it's own way. It's weird how you can get so interested in a kind of hopeless murder investigation...Anyways, check it out!


If you want to listen to these podcasts, you can either listen to them on the websites, if you have an Iphone you can download them through the iTunes store, and I listen to them via the app 'Podcast Addict'.


 



No comments :

Post a Comment