Monday 11 November 2013

Thinking about the future {what happens after graduation}

via x

I think a little introduction is necessary so everyone has the right picture.
Scottish Bachelor degrees are for some reason 4 years long. You can "stop" after 3 years and receive an ordinary Bachelor degree or you do the full four years and then get an Honours degree. The Honours degree has different classes, so you get a grade showing how amazing you were (or not).

Right now I am in my third year. We do two simple semester, no trimesters or anything like that, so there is the winter semester (Sept - Dec) and the spring one (Jan - May). My spring semester is going to be my exchange semester in Texas, so my third year is split. The first half here in Edinburgh is almost over and it scares me loads. Today in two months I will be in Texas.

Anyway, that is not what I wanted to talk about.
In my mind I often jump in time to the start of fourth year. And then thinking of how fast everything will go. Settling in, accepting that this is your last year. Then it's Christmas. New semester, which is the last semester. Writing your dissertation.
All of a sudden it will be May 2015 and we will graduate.
A day I look forward to because we get to wear these cool outfits with the hat and everything.
But what happens after that?

This semester I am taking a module this year where we talk about businesses and creativity, becoming an entrepreneur and all those things. For some reason this is not really a third year module, so 99% of the course are fourth year people. Therefore, we seem to talk a lot about their possibilities after graduating.
It is comforting to see that a lot of them don't have a clue what to do either.

Every so often I have this splash of inspiration, maybe when watching a film, hearing someone speak about their future, talking about all these different options that we have. I could do soo many things with my degree it is ridiculous. For me that also means I could just end up doing nothing special.
Sometimes I think I want to work within film production, or a TV series, then I want to be a freelancer somehow, or a social media marketing adviser, then I want to do marketing, and sometimes I want to have my own business.
It annoys me so so so much, because it would be so much easier if I had a specific goal that I could work towards. But no.
I am still at the point that I was at three years ago. I want to have a cool job. One that makes me happy.
I don't want to be the next Steven Spielberg.

I love studying, I love listening to my teacher talk about film, having discussions about all sorts of things related to the film business. I don't want this to end!
So doing a Masters maybe. But that's expensive.
Or actually finding a good graduate job. But that's hard.
& where do I even want to live?
Ughhsghs





1 comment :

  1. Oh ja...aber zum Glück haben wir zumindest noch ein Weilchen Zeit.

    ReplyDelete